A graphic designer is a person who is responsible for providing design solutions that offer a great visual impact. This job involves listening to the clients and considering their needs before creating any design decisions. The design that are created by graphic designer are required for a wide range of products or activities such as advertising, websites, magazines, books, computer games, posters, product packaging, displays and exhibitions, corporate identity, and corporate communications. Graphic designer do their works under agreement with the clients, account manager, and creative director.
Graphic designers develop concepts and creative ideas and also choose the suitable style and media to represent the client’s objectives. The works of graphic designer require professional approach to deadlines, time, and cost. Graphic designer is also required to work with creative style as well. Graphic designer’s works may involve managing two or more design briefs at the same time and allocating the appropriate amount of time based on the values of the job.
Typical activities of a graphic designer are including:
- Have a meeting with the clients and account manager in order to discuss the job’s requirements and the business objectives.
- Interpreting the business needs of the clients and developing concepts that are suitable with their purposes.
- Estimating the required time to finish the job and providing quotes that are needed by clients.
- Developing design briefs through research in order to collect data and information.
- Thinking creatively in order to produce new concepts and ideas.
- Redefining design briefs using innovation within the limitation of time and cost.
- Presenting finalized concepts and ideas to account managers and clients.
- Working with various types of media including computer aided design and photography.
- Producing high quality and accurate work though proofreading.
- Contributing design artwork and ideas to the overall briefs.
- Using rough sketches in order to demonstrate illustrative skills.
- Working on artwork pages and layout that are ready for print.
- Working with various emerging technologies, especially design programs, including QuarkXPress, Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand, 3Ds Max, Director, Acrobat, Flash, Dreamweaver, InDesign and other computer programs that are commonly used in creating designs for websites, magazines, books, posters, or even corporate identity.
- Developing interactive design.
- Commissioning photographers and illustrators.
- Working in team with copywriters, printers, stylists, photographers, other designers, illustrators, web developers, account executives, and marketing specialists.
A graphic designer, whether the one who is self employed, employed within a company, or working as freelance, is usually need to be proactive in ‘pitching’ or presenting the designs and ideas to the prospective clients or the agency director.
Job Description - Graphic Designer (29.9 KiB, 316 hits)